Why is the radio aperture obstructed on my 1971 B ?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why is the radio aperture obstructed on my 1971 B ?
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:11:39 +0100
Hello MG World,

Last night I checked to see where I could fit a radio to my B.

I discovered a bunch of wires and canister (maybe relay or flasher unit)
blocking the aperture where I expected the radio to sit.

(This is the area that normally has the blanking plate with the MG logo on it,
just above the transmission tunnel)

However, the vehicle was fitted with an aerial so a radio must have been fitted
at some point.

Even more strangely the radio seemed to fit exactly in the aperture - so why
was it obstructed ?

My questions are...

1/ What is the canister for ?
2/ Was it normally located in this position  ?  Was it moved for later models ?
3/ I assume there should be no problems caused by  moving it ?
4/ Where is the best place to move it to ?

Louis Mehr
Manchester
England
UK