Re: To rustproof/underseal in winter or not ?

To: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To rustproof/underseal in winter or not ?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:40:49 -0000
I really think you should wait until it has been warm and dry for a while,
else risk sealing in dampness, particularly as you don't seem to be planning
to do many miles at all, let alone in the winter.  I find Waxoly Underbody
seal is a good compromise between the softness of Waxoyl proper and
conventional underseal which dries hard, cracks and hold water and salt.  I
paint the front half of the petrol tank on my B roadster with Waxoyl proper,
but it still gets washed off even though the car is basically a summer car.
The most I would do at this stage is to remove the flaking stuff to allow it
to dry when it can.

You mention oil.  It used to be common for the oil that was drained out of
the engine to be painted on the chassis/underbody at service time, but some
have said that old oil can be full of moisture and acids, particularly on a
car that isn't run often or far.

PaulH.