Re: ABS exp. (some LBC)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ABS exp. (some LBC)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:40:32 EST
In a message dated 1/20/00 7:40:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, cgmoog@ibm.net
writes:

<< Further experimenting showed that in very low friction driving (at low
 speeds) I could get the ABS to malfunction in one of ten stops.

 So while I liked it in most situations I would rather have a switch to
 disable it (or be convinced that the software has improved since the
 early 90's) before I'll purchase a vehicle with it. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I spent the early morning this morning, driving around in the new
fallen snow.  It was about 12F this morning and we had 4" of snow
yesterday.  The roads have been plowed, but only the major road
were salted.  There is about a 1" hard packed coating on all the back
roads.  This surface provides a pretty good tooth for the tires.  It is
this kind of snow pack that is fun for driving.

I have a '92 Mitsubishi Expo.  FWD with 4 channel ABS, auto tranny,
and Michelin X-One tires.  The car is great in the snow.  I try not to
brake hard enough to engage the ABS pump, but it did occasionally
kick in.  Aggressive driving in this micro-van will cause lots of
understeer, and I can't get it to spin at all.  (Maybe in reverse!)

ABS does differ with different cars.  4 channel ABS controls each
wheel individually.  Some cars only have 2 channel ABS so only two
wheels will pulse (the fronts), and I believe there are 3 channel
systems with the two fronts and a single rear channel.  When you
look for a new car with ABS, make sure it has a 4 channel setup.
The new Ford Focus does, and that car appears to be a pretty good
value.

In LBC news, I have never had a problem driving any of my sports
cars in the snow.  I don't know if I drive differently in them or if they
really are superior in the snow.  Anyone else want to share their
experience out there?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget