RE: Superchargers

To: Dave Wood <djw69@idt.net>
Subject: RE: Superchargers
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:09:02 -0800
Dave:

        I'm very interested in a supercharged MGB.  With the correct
supercharger and controls, non-boost drag is very low, yet as soon as you
put your foot down the boost is available.  If adjusted correctly you end up
with a very drivable vehicle with good fuel economy and power when you need
it.  Instead of a lumpy, over cammed race engine.  Think of a flexible motor
with stock power until you need that extra to get over a hill, or get around
a big rig.

        If you get away from the hot rod image of spinning tires, and think
about the kind of smooth power that a SAAB turbo delivers.

        We have a TD that we just put a blower on.  The comments of the
owner are that it feels like it has a strong MGB motor under the hood.  This
blower installation used the older design supercharger, as it was aimed at
the classic enthusiast.  The MGB one will probably use the same type of
blower as used in our Miata and Honda systems.

        Jeez, I'm starting to sound like an advertising executive.  EEK.

        Anyways, the bits are here.  One of the reasons, I want to get my
MGBGT together is to have it available as a test mule.  It's going to be
COOL!

        The MGB V8 is it's own beast.  Comparing a BV8 to a supercharged B
is almost apples and oranges.  The feel and powerbands are so different.
Done correctly a Supercharged B is going to feel like an MGB, until you put
your foot in it.  Then it will feel like a powerful MGB.  An MGB V8 is going
to feel like an MGB V8, totally unique.

Ok, nuff for now.  I can wax poetic all day, but that doesn't make anything
get closer to realization.

Kelvin.