Re: Just wondering, plus more (long)

To: Math Agelink <webmaster@mgcc-holland.demon.nl>
Subject: Re: Just wondering, plus more (long)
From: Steve Hubschmitt <hubschsm@delanet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:28:41 -0500

Math Agelink wrote:

> ... .I for myself can do without all the messages concerning
> non-MG related items, and - forgive me for saying so - the occasional
> small talk that can be of hardly any interest for anyone but the
> sender and receiver.
> I am just wondering if I am the only one who thinks this way.

I agree with Math for the most part;  I subscribe to several LBC lists
and the sometimes 160 or email per day JUST from those lists can be a
bit tedious, even with an over-active Delete key.  I would ask that some
of the "me too" and "I agree" type of messages be sent to the originator
of the thread only, not the whole list.

I do enjoy the MG content topics.  I have a '71 B, and have done just
about everything wrong that the list has warned about.
I bought the car ~4 years ago, drove it perhaps 100 miles or so  and
then parked it in the garage where it has resided ever since, being
pushed forward or backward a few feet every now and then for reasons
having nothing to do with the car.
It has stayed like this for the following reasons:
#1 - the steering felt like an old '55 Chevy truck I had w/no power
steering while trying to parallel park (which from the list I have
learned that my kingpins are probably shot)
#2 - It has an after market muffler which made kids cover their  ears
whenever I would drive by
#3 - the engine had been rebuilt and a "performance" cam installed; I
couldn't figure out if the engine was idling rough or that's the way it
was suppose to be because of the grind.
#4 - last, but far from least, time to work on it.
I bought the car because I wanted a 'B', had been looking for several
months, and this was the best body I had seen in my neck of the
'rust-belt' woods - solid floors, trunk and rockers, with some pitting
around the rear wheel wells.  Plus I received quite a bit of used extra
parts (including a complete front end, and now I know why...).
Now I know (again, mostly  from the list) that I will more than likely
have trouble with my carbs, gas tank, and brake hydraulics, not to
mention the Lucas electrics, whenever I can see myself having a couple
of months to devote to the car.
I have recently purchased a 1989 printing of the Haynes '62 - '80 repair
manual, plus I bought from Jim at British Racing Green in Newark, DE (a
very knowledgeable and helpful guy with a slew of MGs in his boneyard
for parts) The Complete Official MGB 1962 - 1974 by Robert Bentley.  The
book looks like it's worth it's weight in gold.
The car will probably sit at least another year, as I intend to move
early this year, and doubt I'll have the resources
(read - time & money) to get into it.
I subscribe to the list to file away tidbits of information to help me
get the car going again when the time comes, plus to keep the coals of
interest stoked so that I do not just give up on the whole thing.
Meanwhile, I trot around to the various local shows and dream on....
Oh yea, I own a 69 Corvair  too.
Steve