Re: Now parking brake

To: microdoc@apk.net
Subject: Re: Now parking brake
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:01:52 EST
In a message dated 2/7/00 3:58:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, microdoc@apk.net
writes:

<< BTW, for what purpose do you use "emergency brakes" in cars that require
you to
 apply them by pressing a pedal, and release them by pulling a handle? If I
 recall correctly, the respective manufacturers of those cars refer to these
 mechanisms as "parking brakes". They only become "emergency brakes" after
they
 have caused one by being applied to a moving vehicle. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ooo, ooo, I know!!  I used to do this before I could afford to get my brakes
fixed.  You pull on the handle to keep them released and use the parking
brake pedal as a brake pedal.  Of course, in my old Ford Fairmont, this meant
trying to stop a car designed to have front disks and four rear brake shoes,
with only the two leading brake shoes.  It took a while to stop.  (I went
thru several master cylinders on that car.)

My '86 Mercury Sable station wagon was more reliable, so I never had to use
the P-brake as an E-brake, but that car automatically released the P-brake
when you put it in gear, so you wouldn't have to hold the release.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport