Joanna's Curse!!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Joanna's Curse!!
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 17:05:15 +1100
Hi all,

Just got back from the inaugral MG & Healey list run. The weather was pretty
terrible but we still had a great time. :) 5 cars in total. 2 MGB's, 2 MGA's
and a BJ8 Healey. Unfortunately it was roofs up all the way from Richmond
Air Force base.

On the way up Bells Line of Road, which is very steep, the leading bunch
were pulling away from myself and Julian in the two MGA's. Tim in the hot
Mk2 B leading the pack was certainly in a hurry, and the Red Healey 3000 of
Colin O'Brien was hot on the heels of Graeme Collings in his 70B. Meanwhile
I was just trying to keep the A on the straight and narrow with my 20yr old
tyres, 40yr old shocks and 40yr old wheels. Ahem. I think it's time for a
new set of rubber. <G>

Actually the trip up wasn't without a major event, and guess what, it
happened to me. Funny that. ;) Yep screaming up one of the hills, car
running like a dream - BANG... knock knock knock...  Ohhh.... I pulled over
to the side of the road and the troops gathered. At first I thought it might
have been one of my new roller rockers gone bad but we dispelled that
quickly turning the motor over on the starter and watching the valves. With
the car idling, we couldn't quite make out where the noise was coming from,
either the block or the water pump. So off with the fanbelt and
unfortunately, yep, still making the clonk. It seems almost certain that a
big end bearing has gone, or horror of horrors I've snapped the crankshaft
AGAIN. Disaster. So now I'm here sitting at home waiting for the NRMA to
return the car to me.

But it wasn't all bad. We  managed to limp the car to the destination never
using more than 2500rpm and still have a great lunch with everyone. The oil
pressure held at around 40-45lbs, and 15-20 at idle. Normal pressures before
that were 62psi at 3000 and 25lbs at idle. ie perfectly stock. Why this
happened I don't know, she was revving at around 5000rpm at the time, but
thats not high for an A. Oh well I will find out more soon I guess. Gulp.

Apparently, the reason why my car blew up was our guest from the USA -
Joanna. <G> Even though she wasn't riding in my car whenever she is around
MG's they tend to go blow up, or at least this is what she says. Rick may
have some comment to add? ;) Hmmm. Anyway, I'm sure Jo had a great time and
I don't blame her for the motor blowing up. ;) I'll just make sure she's the
one to take the front bolts off the sump. hehehe Revenge! ;)

After all of that drama,  I got a real treat, a lift back down to Sydney in
a 64 BJ8. Colin's car is beautiful, great condition and what a lovely sound.
My first ride in a Healey and very memorable. :) Thanks for the lift Colin!
:)

I hope everyone who came had a great time too, hopefully we can drag a few
more along next time!

Cheers,
Neil + 1 Broken MGA *sob*
--