Re: First hello and looking for a tonneau cover

To: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: First hello and looking for a tonneau cover
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:40:26 -0800
Of course your tire size has an effect on it (no one today is running the
skinny things that R&T tested on them in the '60s), but my calculations
indicate 3500rpm = 61.6mph, 4000rpm = 70.4mph, 4500rpm = 79.2mph; which
makes your figures about 10mph too high all around.

My '66, which may have the wrong speedo pinion in the tranny for its
speedometer, and definitely has the wrong tranny (4-syncro, same as
yours), indicates about 60mph at 3500rpm, before I flick on the
overdrive. My rough calculations based on tire size and speedometer
charts lead me to believe my speedometer reads about 4-6% too low. This
jibes pretty well with the calculations above. BTW I got that 17.6 figure
from the 1968 Road & Track road test, which also mentions that the
original speedometer error is pretty moderate (59.4 actual at an
indicated 60mph). (They fail to mention how they got the needle to stop
bouncing long enough to get a reading).

Your numbers seem to indicate that either you have very large tires on
the car, or that you have overdrive engaged and you just don't know it. I
believe that in 1971 the overdrive was controlled by the righthand
steering column stalk, which also controls the wipers and washer. You
might try fiddling with it next time you're at speed.

Michael Torrusio had this to say:

--

Max Heim