Re: Tire question for engineers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire question for engineers
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:00:49 -0700 (MST)

> Nevertheless, I'm sure there are "rule of thumb" formulas to get you into the
> ball park. Hopefully, someone on the list will know at least some of them.
>
> Dan

I have gotten a lot of advice from people with all sorts of knowledge
about what to do.  I have had some great emails on why I shouldn't bother
and just get something that will be good and save my $$ for race tires.
So here's the deal.  The V8 is going in a '71BGT that will run Street
Prepared ('D' i think) when the orgainizers are feeling nice, and EMOD
every other time.  Since I know most of the guys in DSP they might let me
run sometimes just for fun.  But, the car will be the absolute minumum of
street legality that I can pull off.  It will have slicks for the track to
take advantage of the better rubber, but fact of the matter is it will be
a driver and will be on the roads a lot more than on the track.  Also I
don't drive slow so I don't want to compromise.  I have been autocrossing
an H-stock MGB roadster for over a year now and been involved in
similar club activities for a long time.  I have a good feel for autocross
but there are no other mgs in denver area autocross.  Out here the
autocross scene is dominated by VWs.  As Don said, maybe there is a
formula that will get me ballpark.  I have 185/70R14 on my stock B and I
can spin them sometimes (at 6500 feet I'm down 18% on power), there is no
way I am going to run the V8 on that rubber.  At first I was going to do
Sebring fenders but that looks too fast to my insurance co for a 21 year
old.  My thoughts are in the area of 205/50R15 but I would like to find a
formula to get me ballpark.  Besides it is something to do when I can't be
working on the car.  I'm aware that there are too many variables to ever
really solve an equation like this, but what I am working on ignores a lot
of them.  Since I am not building a formula 1 car I am ignoring
aerodynamic drag and am ignoring unsprung weight but surely there must be
a rule of thumb to get me ballpark.  Thanks to everyone for all thier
thoughts and please keep them comeing.

 James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT rust free and burnt orange