Thank you, Mr. Moss, Mr. Barr

To: "The MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thank you, Mr. Moss, Mr. Barr
From: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:15:01 -0700
Thursday, at lunchtime, the '77 B's oil line between the block and filter
started leaking - it had been rubbing against the alternator.  I drove home
and found an old oil cooler line.  Though much longer, it was what was
available and I was getting ready for a big weekend - drive the 90 miles to
Phoenix, run the car on Phoenix International Raceway during the VARA event,
then the All British Car Day show at Heritage Park, Phoenix on Sunday.

The line went on OK, with a big loop which I tied off so it would not rub
against the hood or whatever.  It tested OK.

Late that afternoon, I picked up my mother and took her to her tax
accountant, a distance of 3-4 miles.  BIG puddle under the B!  Started it
up, to discover that a pinhole was spraying all over the firewall.  No oil
showed on the dipstick.  It was just after five PM.  I called my son to pick
us up, and called Moss Motors to order a NEW replacement.  After dinner, we
towed the hulk back to the house - first time I ever towed it home!!

The new hose arrived at 11:42 am the next day, Friday.  It was quickly
installed, the vehicle cleaned up, and we were ready for our weekend!

Bright - or actually groggy - and early the next morning, my son, Will,  and
I drove to Phoenix, met friends, and drove to the track.  PIR was great,
watching the races and touring the pits.  Track time was a ball, although
they cut us quite short (approx. 20 min vs. 60!) and my son only got in two
laps.  But it was certainly worthwhile.  This is not a paced track tour, but
a fun drive where you can push it a bit as long as you don't do anything
rash like passing in the turns, etc.

My wife, Penny, drove  down and met us at Tracy & Gary Sattler's.  Friends
Bob & Gil Schaulin arrived and we had a great feast on Tracy's lovely
lasagna.  Afterwards, Will took Penny's car back to Prescott.

Sunday morning - again disgustingly early - Gary, Tracy's mother Virginia,
and I drove into a spectacular sunrise going downtown to set up for the All
British Car Day.

ABCD was a great success well attended.  In addition to a Cad-Allard
behemoth, we had a pair of beautifully restored Jags - MK IV drophead and MK
VII sedan, E-Types, TR4's, 250, and 6's, and a great representation of our
featured marque, Morgan.  Unfortunately, due to a threatening dust storm,
the awards ceremony had to be moved up a bit and rushed.

One of my Prescott friends, Willi Waak, waited for Penny and I and we took
off a few minutes behind the other contingent.  We never caught up with
them, because....

Coming north out of Phoenix, we didn't get very far up I-17 before I started
loosing power.  A quick look at the temperature gauge showed a possible
cause!  Pulling over, we found a pinhole leak in the radiator's upper tank.
Now, I always carry a gallon of water in the boot(which I have never used),
but in preparing/cleaning up for ABCD, I set it aside and forgot to re-pack
it!  Willi had half a gallon, and this got us to the nearest filling
station, where we obtained a bottle of Mr. Barr's best and were on our way
again!  Other than nasty, dust-laden winds, the remainder of the trip passed
uneventfully.