Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: Brake light switches AND fluid problems
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:02:44 EST
In a message dated 2/23/00 1:12:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

<< Yup, someone just sent me a copy of that memo.  If it is of sufficient
 interest I could forward it to the list. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I only have a hard copy that another lister sent.  I would like to have it on
the computer if you could forward it to me.

I agree that silicone brake fluid should act as a preservative for the rubber
seals.  Nothing seems to react with silicone, except for the test that
Lockhhed did with their brake switch.  Since I have a '77 Midget with a
mechanical pedal switch, I have no first hand knowledge.  All the info I read
suggests a complete rebuild of the brake system when switching from one type
to another.

The three problems with silicone are that,
1. it does not absorb water.  This allows water to pool in the lines unless
you bleed it out every year.  This is probably a smaller problem in the
desert where hunidity is non-existent.
2. it is (or was in original formulation) just a bit more compressible than
DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.  This may only be in early silicone fluids and could
be much better now.  Barney, you use that A for some serious autocrossing.
Did you notice any difference in pedal feel between DOT 5 and DOT 4?
And 3. the above seal swelling problem.

YMMV, as evident per Barney's experience.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport