RE: Magnette Mutilation Take Two

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Magnette Mutilation Take Two
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:05:37 -0800
Trevor:

        I am PC impaired.  I'd be interested in the article.

>   Practical Classics had a feature on this a while back, I can
> dig it up for those who are PC-impaired.

>   From what I recall, it was pretty simple, use five main engine
> and change the transmission shaft, or use a five main and an
> all synchro. Either way, starter needs to be relocated but it
> was very simple, just drill another hole so it installs at
> a different angle.
>
>   It seems easier to just use the MGB all synchro tranny,
> they are pretty bulletproof which means most junkyards have
> good usable ones.

        I have lots of all synchro trannies, so the idea apeals.  But I want
to keep modifications to a minimum.  The Datsun or Ford 5 speed conversion
would be a great way to go, but out of my price range at the moment.

        If I can slide a 5 main onto the original transmission easily, with
off the shelf parts that would be wonderful.  Some machining can be handled.

        Still hoping for experienced input.  Particularily about the remote
control question.  I believe that Sherpa trucks used the all synchro box
with a direct gearshifter.

Kelvin.