Re: Difficulty of replacing starter?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <dersk@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Difficulty of replacing starter?
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:19:14 -0800
On my (1967) car I must remove the "downward" pointing spin-on oil filter to
get the starter out.  The filter blocks the extraction of the starter after
it's unbolted.  I don't recall if the 78 has an upward pointing or a downward
pointing oil filter, but just in case.....

Because I haven't planned ahead in the past, I found myself holding the
loosened starter with one hand and trying to unscrew the oil filter with the
other while oil drips in my face!

This also means that when I have removed my starter I've also done an oil
change at the same time!

Good luck, and remember to just relax and enjoy the process......

Tony Woodruff

>>> "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net> 2/24/2000 12:47:06 AM >>>
Well, my starter engine is on its last legs (two calls to roadside
assistance in the past three trips), and it's time to replace it.
Unfortunately, the garage where I take the MGB is closed until the end of
March. Is it time to take the plunge? How tough is it to replace a starter
engine in a '78 B (it would certainly be the most complicated thing I've
done so far)? From the Haynes manual, I can't quite tell if it's a bolt off,
bolt on job or if there's a lot of little stuff to adjust and synchronise.

Thanks,
Derek