LBC Parts

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: LBC Parts
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:28:48 -0600
I just got back from Advance Auto Parts where I just ordered a wheel
cylinder, brake shoes and front brake pads for my 74 Midget.  They will be
in tomorrow and are substantially cheaper than most of the mail order
catalogs.  I'm living in Florida now, but when I was in Virginia, I also
used Advance to keep my MGs running.  The alternator I'm currently running
is from them, with a life time warranty (just keep the receipt). Last night
I found a leaking wheel cylinder.  To order through the catalog would have
taken at least a week to get the parts, and I'd of paid shipping.  If I
wanted it shipped overnight, the shipping costs more than the parts.  As it
is I'll have my brake cylinder tomorrow and can install it on Saturday.  I
depend on the Midget to get my son back and forth to college every day so I
can't afford to have it off the road very long.  No financial interest in
Advance, just appreciate good prices and service.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great mail order companies which I
support and spend LOTS of dollars with, but some of the more common things I
get locally when available.  Last weekend I was changing the gearbox on the
Midget and broke a motor mount taking the engine out.  A motor mount isn't
available locally, but Moss sure took great care of me.  I called them
Saturday afternoon and ordered the part.  It was delivered to me Tuesday
morning.  That is great service, I paid a lot for the shipping, but Moss
ensured it was sent out first thing Monday morning so I would get it
Tuesday.

I've had LBCs for quite a while now and we would be lost without the mail
order companies.  Over the years I've ordered from Moss, VB, TRF, Seven,
Rimmer, Little British Car Co., Motor Head, Special Interest, and many more.
All the companies have strong points and weak points, but without them we
wouldn't be able to support our cars the way we do.

If in a hurry I'll order locally, if time isn't a factor, I'll normally get
the parts from a mail order company.  I try to make a list of the parts I
need, then order a bunch at one time to save shipping.

Just my .02

Ken Waringa
71 TR6 (almost ready)
74 Midget (daily driver)