Water cooled Magnette Transmission

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Water cooled Magnette Transmission
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:29:55 -0800
Last night after vacuuming the undercarriage of the Magnette, I drained the
transmission fluid prior to pulling the driveshaft out.

Is anyone aware of a clear aqueous liquid being used as a coolant in the
transmission of these vehicles?  Perhaps the two pints of water that poured
out are evidence of damage caused by towing with the driveshaft in place.
Perhaps if the vehicle is towed backwards behind a speed boat, the
driveshaft must be left in place to prevent water from entering the exposed
tail shaft housing?

Anyways, I know that water acts as the best coolant, but I'm not sure that
adding Dot 4 brake fluid to the transmission to absorb the extra moisture is
a good idea.  Perhaps the lubricity of silicone brake fluid would be helpful
in this case?

My thanks to Trevor for sending me a copy of the 5M, all synchro OD Magnette
article.  That and the interesting goo coming out of the transmission have
convinced me that a caring hand on the sawzall and gentle touch of a body
hammer are needed to alter the lines of the transmission tunnel slightly.  I
will ensure that the workmanship is of high quality and that the resulting
modifictions are reversible.  The all synch OD out of my 65 (cow ridden) MGB
will have a new home behind some kind of 1800 5M TBD.

That is unless the 3.5 L Rover engine just drops in of it's own accord.

Best to all

Kelvin.