MGA - Just happy (couldn't resist)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA - Just happy (couldn't resist)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 00:10:33 -0600
Hi gang,

70 degrees F and partly sunny near Chicago today, great time for a drive
with the top down.  I finally got the MGA running again, having been off
the road since late November because of a very flat cam.  This was by far
the longest stretch out of service since the (first) restoration was
finished in late 1986.  So after months of negotiating for a new cam, new
timing parts that are sort of adjustable (or at least were supposed to be),
then having to machine an offset cam key to get the valve timing to come
out right, and then doing some cleanup work in the engine bay, and finally
fitting K&N air filters into the original MGA air cleaner housings (after a
just a little tinkering), the little beast sings nicely once again.

I had an interresting half hour drive around town with the idle set to
2500rpm to get the new cam properly run in.  Having done nothing to the
bottom end and very little to the head I wasn't the least bit worried about
the rest of the engine, so I had plenty of opportunity to shove it well
past the red line (several times).  Hot diggity!  It feels so good to have
an MG that actually runs like an MG again.  Now when's the next autocross
date?  YEEHAA!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

A toast all around,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with a new attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg