Re: Be happy drive it all the time [clutch drag question]

To: "barneymg@ntsource.com" <barneymg@ntsource.com>,
Subject: Re: Be happy drive it all the time [clutch drag question]
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:32:08 -0700 (MST)
On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:45:15 -0800, Michael Torrusio wrote:

>Have a question for you all.
>Ever since I started driving, I have always stepped upon the clutch before
>starting the engine.  I was taught, and it makes sense, that the starter
>doesn't need the extra work of dragging the transmission gears around, when
>it is starting the engine.
>When I bought my '71 B, my mechanic stopped me and said that he has always
>found the engine cranks over faster if the clutch is NOT depressed. ???!!!
>Comments on this?

Your mechanic was right for the MG at least.  If you are in neutral you
won't be dragging anything of mass around on the starter.  The friction
from the clutch is usually great enough to slow the engine when
depressed while idling.  Its effect is usually more notable when
starting.

(My '70 BGT doesn't slow when the clutch is pressed, but my '70 B
always has.)

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.itwest.net/~lundgren