Re: Great American Gas Out (LBC? Maybe....)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Great American Gas Out (LBC? Maybe....)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:09:32 +0000
I guess it is all relative but I am not sure why you Americans are
complaining about expensive fuel.  Expensive compared to what?

In Australia the price is rising rapidly... but much of that has to do
with huge State and Federal taxes being added all the time (added then
increased).

In Adelaide, South Australia, I can get fuel at my local for 83c per
litre (for 'super' leaded).  However, a hundred yards down the road I
buy my AvGas for $AU1.10 per litre - a rare treat for the little beast
these days but racing season is coming up and this will be the last
season that we will be able to use AvGas).

You do the sums... the US subsidises their fuel greatly and you pay
cheap prices at the pump compared to many others.  Yes, Australia
exports oil, too - but there is a thing called 'world parity pricing'
that keep stepping in the way of us taking advantage of our own rich
supplies.

Eric
'68MGB MkII