Re: Glowing Cat

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Glowing Cat
From: JTPAKI@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 01:12:12 EST
In a message dated 2/26/00 7:04:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tkvezina@bellsouth.net writes:

>  have a '76 B that has been giving me fits lately.  While trying to track
>  down the causes of the engine's refusal to idle the other night, I noticed
>  that the catalytic converter and the first 6" of exhaust pipe were glowing
>  red.  I removed the cat and discovered that the PO had knocked out all of
>  the catalyst.  If there is no catalyst left in the canister, what is
causing
>  the overheating?

Consider also that the timing can cause this situation.  If the "guts" of the
cat have been removed then the air injection should be removed as well.  If
you are in an emission sensitive area and must meet standards, then you can
replace the cat with an aftermarket unit just a short distance down stream
and away from the carb.  It will not be as efficient, but will work.  Do not
drive your car any further this way.  This is how most late model Bs burn
down.  (well, usually the cat superheats, but this situation is close to the
same thing).  Check timing, it may be retarded.

Joe Potter