70 B GT Engine Rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 B GT Engine Rebuild
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:01:42 -0500 (EST)
I recently purchased a 69/70 (split rear bumper) B GT. The car seems in
good shape overall (suspension good, transmission feels solid, interior is
in great shape) but the engine is eating more oil than gas, leaving a
smoke cloud wherever I go once the engine has warmed up. To me, this would
indicate that the pistons and rings are worn and need to be replaced and
the cylnders bored/smoothed out. I have worked on cars before (a 72 Land
Rover, a 90 Range Rover and a 68 Ford Falcon) replacing differentials,
fenders, electrics, alternators, etc. but I have never done anything more
drastic to the engine than changing the thermometer. I was wondering if
there is a detailed step by step guide on how to do this, from taking the
engine out to putting it back in and starting the car again.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff