Re: Elect. Ignition

To: runriver@carolina.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Elect. Ignition
From: LBCarCoMail@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:24:32 EST
Charlie,

There are several types of electronic ignition  Crane makes a very good
Optical unit that mounts externally in the engine compartment as does a
company called Magitronic.   Both are very similar in nature.  I prefer a
unit call the Pertronix Ignitor which is a Hall Effect unit that mounts
entirely inside the distributor and normally only has one extra wire showing
coming out of the distributor cap.

This later unit is very inexpensive and works very well with the added
advantage if it should ever fail you can go back to points and condenser in a
matter of a couple of minutes.

I have one installed in each of my MG's and find that the cars start easier,
run smoother, a little better gas mileage, longer plug life, plugs rarely
foul and once it is in and the timing is set, unless you pull out the
distributor for some reason, the timing should not need to be reset.  You
also do not have any points or condenser to change any more.

You need to make sure you get the right kit for your distributor, this is
very important.  The distributor number is normally stamped near the vacuum
advance such as a 25D, 45D etc.  If it is not visible then it could very well
be on the side of the dist. or on the bottom.  You can use a standard coil
with these Ignitors or you can go with the hotter 40,000v coil if you feel
you want a hotter spark.

Several establishments including but not limited to Moss, Victoria British,
Just Brits and myself carry this item.

Best regards,

Jeff Zorn
Little British Car Co., Ltd.