Re: The City

To: "Michael Torrusio" <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: The City
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:28:54 -0500
At 05:41 PM 03/07/2000 -0800, Michael Torrusio wrote:
>Long before ANYONE hung out in San Fran, New York City was a viable thriving
>Metropolis.
>Check out those old fashioned things - books - and you'll notice much
>mention historically about THE CITY.
>California?  It's cold and damp, and those that couldn't hack it in NYC
>moved there.
>Am I too harsh?
>Peace and Love.
>--
>Ciao.
>
>Mike.

This is one that brings out the chauvinists.  However, the City is not NYC
its Manhattan. If you are in Queens or Brooklyn, and are going into
Manhattan, you say "I'm going into the City"  Perhaps if you are in London,
the "city" refers to the part of London designated the "city" as opposed to
Westminster or the West End, but anywhere else on Earth, the "City" means
that crazy island on the Hudson between the East River and New Jersey.
Folks, there is no place like it, and for those who don't appreciate it,
its your loss.
MG content:
  A few years ago our local chapter from central New Jersey had an outing
on Governors Island. (its in the harbor between Manhattan and the Statute
of Liberty) To get there, you take a coast guard ferry from  lower
Manhattan. We drove our T types through the Holland Tunnel onto Canal
Street and then down Broadway on a Sunday. You should have seen the great
reaction from people in the streets to our cars. It was great}
(I am not a New Yorker, never lived there, but what is, is )

Mike