Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve

To: "Chris Attias" <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:27:21 -0500
A bouncing gauge is usually one of two things.

1) you have something floating around in your oil galleries that partially
blocks the gallery until a certain pressure is reached where the blockage
is breached.  (IE damaged head gasket, solid crud chunk
in one of the galleries , etc etc   -- ha  kinda' like a human blood clot)

2) The oil pump is dying or is starving for oil.  The oil pick up could be
sucking air
or the pump impellers are giving up tolerances as the engine warms up and
can't maintain pressure. You could have so much old sludge in you oil pan
that the pick up is very clogged and can't supply a 'steady' supply to the pump.
etc etc etc    YMMV

.... just a couple of things to check...

Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com
OBie - '73 BGT - daily driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - corner ripping screamer
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - lady killer
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html