Re: Oil Presure; New question #2

To: Tony Woodruff <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Presure; New question #2
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 22:10:41 -0600
Tony Woodruff wrote:

> My (freshly and professionally rebuilt) 67 B runs around 60# at idle and 70#
>or so at 3000 RPM.  Sounds like that's pretty normal - good even.

That's where it ought to be!  Be happy!

> What, exactly, are the ramifications and causes of low oil pressure?  I'm
>assuming that at the lower end of the range we're looking at more-rapid engine
>wear, etc.

Low oil pressure is the result, usually, of main bearing wear.  Any other
malfunction that causes the system to not hold pressure can be a culprit as
well.  An example might be the
little plug at the front of the rocker assembly.  It is there as a result of
the machining process.  The hole needs to be plugged to maintain oil pressure.
These plugs usually can
be found rolling around amid the rocker arms and push rods.  Nothing more than
replacing it will solve the problem.  To a lesser extent the bushings in the
rocker assembly can be the
cause of lower pressure.  The rocker arms are oiled by pressure and are about
the last item to get oil.  If these bushings are really worn then way more oil
than necessary floods the
rocker arms and cover resulting in lower pressure.
    The "more rapid engine wear" is a continuing downward spiral.  When a part
does not have the necessary lubrication, in this case due to wear, then it
wears more rapidly.  Sooner
or later, usually sooner, the whole thing gives up.

> Are there other causes besides poorly sealed engine cases/gasket leaks?

Nothing to do w/ engine oil pressure.  The engine can be pressurized w/ engine
blowby from worn rings but this is different than engine oil pressure.  A
pressurized crankcase causes
oil to be forced out places like you mentioned.  A puffing engine is on the
short road to an overhaul.

> Does the impeller (or some other part) wear out?

Oil pumps have a limited life like any other mechanical thing.  The good news
is that they last a long time and rarely give up w/out a lot of warning.  This
renewal should be
included in any engine overhaul.  Not too expensive when the engine is apart
but becomes really expensive when the engine is in the car and not apart.

> Inquiring minds want to know.

That's how you learn stuff!

 --
Larry Dickstein