Tailpipe Colour

To: "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tailpipe Colour
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:22:37 -0000
Hi All,

I've been researching on behalf of all of us-in the UK at least.
I noticed, after changing to unleaded fuel + Valvemaster Plus, that the
tailpipe colour on both my classics is black.
It used to be that tailpipe colour could be used to gauge mixture, i.e
white=weak, light grey=right, black=rich. Looking at moderns using unleaded,
they also had black pipes.
So, I asked Shell-they hadn't tested this aspect and weren't prepared to
comment. Then, I asked BP-their expert was unavailable on three occasions.
So...I asked Castrol. The tech dept. said that the tailpipe colour was due
to lead halides in the exhaust gases and that these are no longer present,
hence no colour. Sounds reasonable to me but, looking at the plugs in my
BGT, they were still whitish-brown at a mixture something like right. I'm
puzzled as to where that colouration comes from.
Also, do you in the US get a god result from your Colourtunes, or does
unleaded affect the flame colour?

Any ideas, comments?

Dave Hill
Yrok, UK
Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html