Water/Oil Coolers

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water/Oil Coolers
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:33:07 +1100
Hi all,

Was reading a thread on the Vintage race mailing list and I'm interested if
anyone out there has considered fitting or has fitted a water/oil cooler
instead of the typical air/oil cooler. Some of the listed advantages were
quicker warm up time, cooler operation & one I can see, the ability to place
the cooler in a position out of the airflow, ie move it away from partially
blocking the radiator of a B, more of a problem on an A, already enough of a
problem getting air in there.

Part of the discussion was building one from a stock oil cooler by welding
an aluminium box around the stock cooler and adding input/exit pipes. Sounds
like a great idea, but I have a couple of reservations.

Water being recirculated via the cooling system runs at 160-200+F, obviously
this isn't cooler than the outside air, so how is the cooling improved? ie
the Air would be at worst 105F. Would it be better to set up a different
feed from an altogether seperate resevoir? Problem is the water would be
sitting and not circulating through the cooler. This is interesting to me as
I was intending on fitting a cooler to the A, here in Australia it gets very
hot, but in traffic I would doubt that the cooler would make a major
difference, so hence my interest in the water/oil cooler.

Apparently a lot of modern cars run these types of coolers such as the
Miata/MX5. Comments anyone? :)

Cheers,
Neil.
--