Re: Travelling to buy - horror stories

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Travelling to buy - horror stories
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:53:50 EST
Not really a horror story, 'cause I bought the car.
 My newly purchased 72 GT was sitting in an Air Force base in North Carolina,
310 miles away.  But it had a newly rebuilt engine, OD, upgraded suspension,
wire wheels and--yes!--absolutely no rust.  The owner was an F-15 pilot and
as a former military pilot myself, I sorta tended to trust him.
 Made the trip and all that he said was correct.  However, the interior
was/is a disaster and largely lacking in rubber seals.  The paint job looks
as if it had been polished with a 00 grit sandpaper, and there is evidence of
body work in the front.  Still, OD, no rust, strong engine, so I bought it on
the spot.  Took the 1 a.m. Greyhound out of DC the next weekend--that's an
adventure I had forgotten about--and picked it up.  The rain started
literally as I rolled out of his driveway and got real heavy by I-95.  At the
Virginia border it went to sleet, then to heavy snow around Richmond.
Remember, no rubber seals on the door--I was shoving rags in the door jam to
give the heater a chance to catch up.  Finally got to DC and the snow
stopped.  On the way I thought the seat felt too, huh, board-like, reached
underneath and instead of the webbing I found--a board, plywood that is, both
sides, under the foam.
Car is home, interior ripped out, parts on the way.  Life is good!

Jay Donoghue
72 MGB
72 MGB-GT
66 Mustang