Re: Motor & Gear Oil ?

To: runriver@carolina.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Motor & Gear Oil ?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:26:49 EST
In a message dated 3/14/00 9:37:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
runriver@carolina.net writes:

<< I'm looking to find the right motor oil & gear oil for my stock 75 MGB.
 It has been awhile since any work has been done on this engine.
 Any comments on oil treatments ?
 Should'nt I be able to open the drain plug on the rear end with a 1/2in
 socket wrench with no socket ? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a Midget but most of it should be the same for a B.

I am using Valvoline SynPower oil in the sump.  I use 20W-50.  Something
about a product called SynPower...

In the gearbox and diff. I am also using Valvoline synthetic gear oil.

Go to www.valvoline.com for a wild web site.  They let you sign in and
customize your copy of the site, and they have a Sprite that you can use on
the background!

The Midget uses the same square hole in the diff drain plug.  The hole is
actually tapered so a 1/2" drive socket wrench may fit OK.  Some listers buy
a cheeep 3/8 to 1/2 socket adapter and grind it down to fit perfectly.  An
inexpensive, but I may say, an elegant solution.

Good luck, and let us know what you are up to.  Remember, the key to
reliability of an LBC is doing regular maintenance.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport