RE: [Re: [Re: Poetry and Proper Name....]]

To: "'Matthew Trebelhorn'" <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Subject: RE: [Re: [Re: Poetry and Proper Name....]]
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:16:39 -0800
Matt:

        I had the onerous job of replacing every reference to "XKE" by
"E-Type" in our new Jaguar catalog.

        The firm words of Mr. Harry Haigh (Retail Sales Manager and ex
Jaguar Sales Manager) still resound in my ears.  "There is NO such car as an
XKE!"

        For a short little guy, he can have quite a presence!  Drives a very
nice 3.8 Mk II as well.

Kelvin.

"James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net> wrote:
> My Jag had chrome lettering on the hatch (it was a 1964 4.2 Liter coupe)
that
> clearly said E-Type, as did the owner's manual. I think they were named
E-type by
> Jaguar, and are today properly called E-type not XKE.
>
> Jim
>
> Matthew Trebelhorn wrote:
> Jaguar only rarely
> > used the name E-Type.

I was mistaken.  James Sr. and Allen are correct.  Trunk lettering, owner's
and shop manuals all are E-Type, not XK-E.

An insert in England's The Motor, March 1961, announces the Jaguar E-Type:
http://www.jag-lovers.com/brochures/adverts/1960/61_etype_insert_1_l.jpg

However, the rear cover of the May '61 Road & Track in the U.S. carried an
ad
which announced "The New Jaguar XK-E"
http://www.jag-lovers.com/brochures/adverts/1960/r_t_05_61_bkcover_l.jpg

American advertising used XK-E quite a lot.  Of course, thy also go back and
forth on the OTS/Roadster question.  Probably safer to say that they should
be
called E-Types.

I do, though, like the logic of the term XK-E.  A somewhat streetable D-type
was called the XK-SS, it seems like the street car "E" should be an XK, too.

I guess my own appreciation of the logic overwhelmed my feeble memory.  Mea
culpa, and thanks to Allen and James.

M.