Re:MG's rebirth -OT -Limited LBC content

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:MG's rebirth -OT -Limited LBC content
From: Marshall Dixon <mldixon@planetcable.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 14:20:39 -0500
Paul, this is not my field, but back when I was studying finance, I had the
opportunity to go through case studies of Not for profits and thus the norms
that they operated under. I also had a number of very close friend who's
careers were in managing these types of organizations, although not
automotive in nature.  So my info is both out-of-date, not first hand and
about US organizations in another field.

Anyway  they must operate on similar bases, though. In the US there are a
small hand full of museums that brake even in any normal business sense.
That is the internally generated money equal the cost of operation i.e.
admissions, sales and income on cash reserves. Those are institutions that
were set up with or have very large endowments, that produce enough income
to support the operating costs. As I said, this scenario is the minority.
Most of this type of institution, museums mainly since most of them also
have a research division, are in constant need of additional cash and
receive most of their money as either cooperate sponsorship or government
grants.

If memory serves, only the most popular institutions received a third costs
in sales, admissions and facilities rental. The rest rest was made up from
constant fund drives and cooperate sponsorship. Few of these presented the
opportunity for a direct tie-in of the Corporation's product with the museum
as Gaydon does for Rover. In addition from my short visit, only one day, it
appeared as if gaydon is a very substantial facility and a good portion of
the land is used for Land Rover's offroad Driver's Ed and testing. That use
is very obviously part of LR's  engineering and marketing campaigns. Lastly
in all the literature it states that BMIHT manages the collection,
conference center etc. thus, the Gaydon  museum facility.  I read this as it
does not own those properties and just over sees them. I have heard as much
from other sources, I might have miss interpreted or been wrong.

Below I am forwarding a message posted on the Healey list buy the editor of
British Car. That seem to shed some light and restate the known details.