Re: correct procedure to tighten the set screw on the back of the rocker

To: "Ted S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: correct procedure to tighten the set screw on the back of the rocker shaft
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:53:39 -0800
Ted,

Your first paragraph makes absolutely no sense to me so I can't advise you
there.

As to there being shims under the two center pedestals of the rocker
assembly, these were fitted by the factory on later engines. The idea is
that they very slightly bow the rocker shaft so that is is gripped better by
the pedestals; otherwise, since there is no way to tighten the shaft into
the pedestal, it can move around, which results in wear and additional
noise. If your engine does not have those shims, they are available from
Moss under part number 460-255. While the factory fitted them only from 18GB
engines forward, it's a good idea to fit them to earlier engines, even MGA
engines.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center