Re: Scary incident with aftermarket fuel pump & Solid State SU Pump

To: Jeff Fayne <fayne@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Scary incident with aftermarket fuel pump & Solid State SU Pump
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 05:55:42 -0600
Hi Jeff,

  I replaced the pump on my '69 B in fall '98.  A PO had replaced the B
pump with a Midget pump and hooked it up to the truncated steel lines
with rubber hoses and clamps.  The hose connections always seeped fuel.

  Ennyhoo, I bought a new SU pump and a replacement tank-to-pump metal
fuel line from Moss.  The only problem was in making the sharp bends at
the pump end.  I had to buy a rather expensive die-type bender to
accomplish this. The fuel line from Moss has the fittings installed but
comes in a coil.  Shaping and routing are up to the user.
If you go with the new SU pump, remember to get a new rubber "mounting"
ring, it cuts down the noise and isolates the pump from road vibration
and shocks.

  It was expensive and a pain to install but I'm happy with the
outcome.  The old point type pumps last for years under normal
conditions.  If your fuel lines have already been altered you can go
with the SU pump with adapters installed for hoses.  I think Moss still
sells those.  Kelvin??

  I, too, recently bought an aftermarket pump (from AZ).  Turned out it
didn't have a  pressure shutoff switch.  Good thing I'm using it with a
switch, as a boost pump, on my little motorhome to fill the carb up
after a long idleness.

  CR