Re: Tuning SU's

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tuning SU's
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:05:29 -0500
I've learned the hard way that SUs are not easily tuned if the first tune-up
steps, the valve clearances, timing, and the points gap are not adjusted
first.

Then, as far as lifting the pistons are concerned, sometimes the spring in
the dashpot wears out after a few decades, perhaps you'll want to replace
both of them.

I had a problem with mild backfiring while shifting (or any situation in
which the RPMs dropped rapidly).  It turned out to be a small exhaust leak
between the manifold and the pipe, which went away after tightening the
studs.

Hope that helps.  Someone's wisdom on the list was that most problems with
SUs result from timing/electrical issues.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 SPrite