Re: Fuel Prices (off-topic)

To: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices (off-topic)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:23:51 -0800
Sorry list, couldn't help but add my $0.02 to this one...

Word on the street is that James H. Nazarian, Ph.D. said:
> In press releases issued by the foreign embassy of Turkey, on March 14,
> 15, 2000, it was reported:
>
> * UN chief Annan issues warning on Iraqi oil industry
> * UN Secretary General recommends to the Security Council doubling
> financial aid to Iraq for spare parts and other oil production equipment
> from $600 million to $1.2 billion over a year's period beginning this
> June.
>
> We already know that the USA pays virtually all the costs of operating
> the UN. We also know that the USA pays vast sums of money in foreign aid
> to nations in that region with dismal human rights records.

The USA is about $600 million behind in its UN dues, and has only as of
December 1st has actually made any progress towards paying that off, but
with many conditions such as restricting the UN's family planning
practices to conform with powerful US special-interest lobby groups.

FYI: According to DoD, since the end of the Gulf War in 1991, monetary costs
of crisis buildups and contingency operations in the Gulf, including
patrolling the no-fly zones (Northern Watch and Southern Watch), have been
approximately $7 billion.

> What I
> didn't know is that we were helping to support another aggressor, and a
> very hostile government, Iraq.

Iraq has been under severe trading restrictions for 6 years now, and their
oil producing equipment is falling under disrepair due to lack of spare
parts.  Since, by the terms of the embargo, Iraq can only trade oil for food
and medicine, the less oil they produce, the less food and medicine.  Some
stats for you:

* over 500,000 children have died as a result of sanctions
* estimated 1.5 million dead total due to sanctions
* 200,000 Iraqis were killed in the war, many civilians

Keep in mind the total population of the country is only 22 million, so
that equates to about 1 in 10.

I'm not saying Iraq is a perfect place, far from it.  But don't believe
everything the media feeds you either.  You think with all the resources
that the USA has at its disposal it couldn't topple a tinpot dictator
like Saddam if they wanted to?  Its much more useful to prop him up
so the American public will have something to throw eggs at (an extention
of the villification of all things Arabic/Islamic), and to make the
Iraqi people suffer horribly as an "example" for any other country in the
region that would dare to step out of line.  IMHO.

The original story you posted in more detail:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000310/pl/iraq_usa_1.html

Skye

--
Clarity of thought should be accompanied by clarity of technique - Mondriaan