Re: Today's MGB ?

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Today's MGB ?
From: Dan DiBiase <dibiase@home.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:17:07 -0500
Larry, this was an interesting note, and I appreciate you sharing your
thoughts. A couple of my own -

I have a 76 Roadster, and every couple of years (this being one!) I try
and take a hard look at the car and see if I might be better off selling
it and buying an older CBB that needs cosmetics. My thought process is,
they are more desirable than the RBB's and mine needs quite a bit of
work - some body, some chassis, light cosmetics. Is it worth it to put
the money in? I've already got more in it than I could get for it. Then,
from an emotional perspective, I think that this was (and is) my first B
and I can't imagine ever selling it! I'll just have to buy another one,
I guess... I've come to the conclusion that these cars cannot be bought
as an investment. They are still too inexpensive and typically require
more work (read: $$$) due to their age which makes it difficult to get
out of it, what you put into it. IMHO...

I've never driven a Miata and am not snobbish towards them. Heck, I've
even waved at Miata drivers when driving my B (unless their top is up...
then I sneer...!). It is a sports car, classic definition... Perhaps
they haven't been around long enough to obtain the patina of age that
our cars have - but I just can't put them in the same category as MG's.
Maybe they're too 'perfect', with electric windows, a/c, etc!

I am curious as to which car drew more attention - your friend's Miata
or your B?

As a PS, I'll just say - 110, wow!

Dan D
Dayton, NJ