cast iron vs. aluminum was: aluminum head for mgb

Subject: cast iron vs. aluminum was: aluminum head for mgb
From: jmc <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 00 10:30:45 -0800
When I ordered a new cast-iron head from British Parts Northwest, it just
bolted on perfectly with no leaks. I've heard about aluminum's tendancy
to warp at high heat, but wouldn't expect it to be warped right out of
the box. I may be a little naive, but I think the supplier of a new
(warped) head should foot the bill for the machine work. Also regarding
cast iron's tendancy to crack, the original head on my MGB was over 30
years old before it cracked. The way I figure it, if I get 15 out of this
one, I've got my money's worth. I would suggest that anyone getting a new
cast-iron head, make sure it's a new casting. The rebuilt ones are on
castings that are 20 years old at best.

Joseph
67 MGB Roadster
(With a cast-iron head (On the car, not the owner))