Re: And they said it was the new MGB!

To: <Transmancat@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: And they said it was the new MGB!
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:04:38 +0100
John J. Black wrote...

> Hi David et al
> The CVH engined cars were always harsh. The pushrod unit that they
initially
> used from the Fiesta was much better but boy was it gutless!

Agreed. I reckoned that the ideal lump to drop in would be the 16v Rover
Metro K-Series-Efi, 138 BHP stock and it's light. That or blueprint and
balance the CVH to the highest degree.

> My Scimitars all had cooling problems too. But I knew about it and the fix
is
> easy really. I was more concerned about the fire problem after I lost one
> that way in the New Forest at 3.30am one morning. I also bought one that
had
> been a total loss for an under bonnet fire.

Don't tell me-early one without the carb inlet pinned? Or just mummified
fuel lines?

> A few parts bins were raided to supply the parts for the Scimitar range.
The
> TR front end was great for cheap parts compared to how much Reliant wanted
> for them.

Yeah. Parts bins like BL Marina, Ford Zephyr and Granada, among others. Some
overdrive examples had Transit parts in them. BTW, the TR front end croaks
because it has 3" more travel and a *lot* more weight than stock to deal
with. Reliant progressively upped the diameter of the front stubs as
production continued.

> I still like them.

Me too. The Scimtar, in its death throes, was considerably improved by
Middlebridge, who used the 2.9i Cologne engine. That's what I was looking to
create when my financial rug got pulled. Last heard, a friend of mine was
working on improved suspension for Graham Walker in Chester. Don't know how
far this has gone.

> Dave Hill, When were you with PC. I did some freelance work for Classic
Car  (TACC over here) a few years ago.

'88 to about '94. I did a lot of freelance work and my two-year coverage of
the Morris Minor Traveller Rebuild (Doris the Morris) is now in book form.
Work stopped when the new editor arrived. Don't get me started...
I used to be editor of 'Kit Car', then of 'Classic and Replicas'. Also been
in 'Practical Motorist' 'Which Kit?', 'Auto Express', 'Autoclassic Weekly'
and 'What Boat?'---Huh?

Since, I've done some 'Cars for Sale' tests for Classic Cars-stopped in
December-new editor, again. Now I'm doing a little for 'Classic Car Weekly'.

Sorry about the resume but you did ask ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html