exhaust manifold to pipe connection

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: exhaust manifold to pipe connection
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 16:35:08 -0400
  Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about fitting the metal &
asbestos gasket between pipe and manifold.  The reason the question was
asked was that I installed a new Falcon system, heard lots of puffing at
the joint, and figured I must have installed the gaskets wrong.
  Since today was altogether too pleasant to not spend it under an MGB, I
dropped the exhaust system to replace those gaskets.
  Surprise--the gaskets were installed correctly and were in perfect
condition.  What was the problem?  The cup/ring that's welded onto the
pipe is too far from the end of the pipe, thus the iron clamping piece
(es) pull up against the manifold without compressing the asbestos
gaskets between the cup/ring and the manifold.  Determination of this was
made by the presence of carbon all over the gaskets and clean iron
surfaces between the clamping piece on the pipe and the flange on the
manifold.   By the way, I tested the pipes against another MGB manifold,
and found that the same thing happened.
  Questions--is there a thicker gasket available for this application?
Has Falcon supplied a fix for this complaint (if it has happened to
anyone else)?  Suggestions?
  Thanks in advance,
Bob