Re: Tie rod ends

To: <NICKLEST@uwplatt.edu>, "MG List" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie rod ends
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 20:41:12 -0700
Hmmm, the steering rack usually wears in the middle, so the symptom is
slack steering around center. I would think the tie rod ends would result
in a slack feeling even with the wheel turned, although the cornering
loads could make it feel tight. Perhaps you might support the front end
off the ground in a way that you can turn the wheel freely, and see if
you can determine which it is. You can remove shims from under the little
plate on the steering rack to tighten it, but... when I did that, the
center steering improved, but at full lock it became unacceptably stiff.
This was the indication that I needed a new rack. Good luck.

NICKLEST@uwplatt.edu had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149