Deepfrozen norwegian GT owner, some q's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Deepfrozen norwegian GT owner, some q's
From: jon.arikstad@merkantildata.no
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:44:11 +0200
I am renting a garage for my MG. Thought i had it till may, but I suddely
was told that i have to be out by  the 16. this month. So I had to start
working on the car, yesterday. It was ( and is) snowing, and the garage is
NOT heated.

1)
I have to replace a new handbrake cable. It was removed a long time ( last
summer) ago, not by me.
Question: does the cable go from the 'compensator' then OVER the rear axle
or under ?

2)
I need to replace the exhaust/carb manifold. Removed all nuts, then found
out that I am not able to remove the exhaust manifold. I can remove the
studs, using two nuts. !! I'm beginning to learn !
The first 5 was easy, then the last one, the one I should have tried first,
the one closest to  ( 'torpedoveggen' mumble, dictionary, asking someone, oh
forget it, use another word) the heather. Very little space, I'm using
force, SNAP....The outer part broke off,  leaving just enough thread for a
nut, but I have to replace it ( Correction, I will have to PAY to have it
replaced)

Question
I can replace the manifold gasket, if I cut 'open' the ring for this nut.
Should be no problem ?
How do I remove the old one. I did not touch it to much, but it felt like it
was 'welded' to the cylinder head.

3)
I am not able to start it. It was getting worse and worse last autum, before
i left it. I was alone, so I could no check if I have a spark. The fuel pump
is working. I will check again, could be that the choke is not fully
out.....
I was getting to cold, so I had to leave

RGDS

Jon Arikstad
1987 MB 230E ( just found some strange red/brown spots)
1970 MGB GT .