Re: coolant recovery

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: coolant recovery
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:23:44 +0100
A catch tank doesn't have to be pressurised to have its contents returned to
the cooling system as the engine cools, it just needs the type of cap that
has two seals and the overflow pipe positioned between them, and the other
end of the pipe should reach the bottom of the tank.  AFAIK UK, at least,
caps have been this way for years.  I have recently fitted a catch tank to
my factory V8 because it has a relatively small expansion tank given the
size of the cooling system.  When hot (or as hot as I dare remove the cap)
the coolant will be close to the top of the tank but when fully cooled will
only be an inch from the bottom.  However I have never lost any coolant from
the roadster, which has no expansion tank or catch tank, but then am inch or
so of clearance for the full width of the rad gives quite a lot of expansion
for a relatively small water system.

 PaulH.