Re: radio sings the blues

To: Dave <hearts@radiks.net>
Subject: Re: radio sings the blues
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 07:53:47 -0500
Dave wrote:

> Was driving the '74B sunday when all of a sudden a fairly loud whine
> came out of the radio.  At the same time the "fasten seat belt" light
> started to glow.  sounded like it was trying to buzz too.  I notice the
> noises got louder with higher engine revs. sounds to me like some kind
> of voltage transfer.  before I pull the radio, I thought I would check
> out the advise of the list.  I have only owned this one for 4 months but
> never heard this noise.  All other electrics seem fine.  Any advise is
> appreciated!
>
> Dave Ciaccio
> '74B
> '76B

Dave-
    I think the radio whine was a symptom but not the cause.  My guess would
be a malfunction in the alternator/voltage regulator.  It wouldn't be
adviseable to run it in this condition long but a fast check of voltage w/
the car running should tell you the story.  If the battery is up the voltage
w/ the car not running should be 12+.  The high normal voltage w/ the car
running should not be over a high 13 or low 14.  Your observation that the
noise increased w/ rpm is the key and a good observation on your part.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420