Re: Crankshaft

To: "Kim Lang" <ktlp@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft
From: "British Sportscar Center" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:59:23 -0700
Larry,

The rear flange can sometimes be polished at the time the crankshaft is
reground - if your machine shop is asked nicely. The front seal surface is,
of course on the crank pulley, not the crankshaft, and this usually responds
to careful polishing with fine emery cloth.

If, however, either surface is so badly pitted that it won't polish smooth,
or if it is deeply grooved from the old seal wearing it away, you can save
both surfaces by using a "Seal Saver" or "Speedi-Sleeve". These are
available from most good auto parts houses under the following numbers.
(Other brands are also available; the shop should be able to cross-reference
to these numbers).

Front pulley - National Redisleeve No. 99156
Rear flange of crankshaft - "      "   99350

Be warned, however: they are not cheap!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center