British Car Week 2000

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: British Car Week 2000
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:23:38 EDT
Re: British Car Week/British Drivers Car Week - May 20 - 28

British Car Drivers Week......it's not just a week for hopping into your
favorite old British car and driving it around for a good time, but rather,
an occasion to think about its very interesting history, its contribution to
the world of cars, and how it's changed your life and the life of others for
the better.  It's a time to think of the friends you've made, the good times
you've had, and what you can do to return the favor to these very special old
cars that have been a treasured companion to so many people throughout the
years.  I've always felt that if these cars could talk and tell us of some of
their adventures from the day they rolled out of the factory, we'd be greatly
entertained.

Most of these cars have had a very colorful past.  Their owners tend to be
more adventurous than the average person, and for that reason, these cars
have seen some very exciting days.  For many of them, the  excitement is
still going strong, but unfortunately, some are currently sitting in a dark
storage place covered up with who knows what, or heaven forbid, collecting
sap under an old tree or the like.  Sadly enough, these are the cars that are
not given the chance to prove they are still perfectly capable of providing a
world of entertainment to their current owner.  In many cases it's because
the owner doesn't know how to work on the car, and they haven't the foggiest
idea what to do to get the car ready for the road.

Many people don't realize there are local clubs with good people who are more
than willing to lend a helping hand.  Whether it's physical help, or good
advice, there are almost always plenty of people more than willing to help
get the car safely on the road in one way or another.  Whether it's parts,
service, or technical help, there's almost always an abundance of choices.
In many cases there are people who currently don't own a British car, but
have always had a passion for them, but unless they have the chance to
acquaint themselves with someone else with these interests, they may never
have the courage take advantage of a life long ambition that could greatly
enhance their lives.  We all know these cars can be quirky, and for those who
are not handy with a hammer or screwdriver, owning and driving one can be an
intimidating experience.  Knowing there are others nearby to lend a helping
hand can make a world of difference.

I had an interesting experience late last year while attending a local auto
auction in Auburn, Indiana.  I pulled my Triumph TR6 into a parking spot, and
while getting out of my car a man with a look of excitement walked up to me
and asked about my car.  We talked for a while, then during our conversation
he told me that he has a TR6 that he bought brand new, and explained that he
needs to get it out and start driving it again.  During our conversation I
mentioned the national Triumph TR6 club, called 6-Pack.  He looked at me very
curiously and asked "6-Pack? What is 6-Pack?".  I told him all about the
club, and he was amazed that he had never heard of a TR6 club.  So was I.....

This is by no means a reflection on how well the club advertises its presence
among all the British car clubs, because we all know how expensive
advertising is, but it may show how important it is for other British car
owners to get the word out.  British Car Drivers Week is just one way of
doing that.  It's important that we all pull together as a community and help
do our part to preserve all British marques, the clubs, the parts suppliers,
and all the history that goes along with them.  I've been extremely impressed
with the enthusiasm among all the people who have taken part in this annual
week, and they have really made a difference.  A difference that we will all
benefit from.

So for those of you who would like to spend some quality time with your good
old trusted friend during the week of May 20 to 28, be sure to keep these
things in mind.  Pull your car out of the garage and spruce it up, but don't
stop there, go ahead and take it for a nice long drive, everyday.  Think
about offering some technical help to a local club member.  Take that curious
little neighborhood kid for a ride in a car that he or she will never forget.
 Join the club you've been thinking about lately.  Support your British car
parts suppliers and buy some parts for your car.  There's no doubt about it,
there's a lot of things to do with your British car.  Most of all having a
good time!

Thanks for your time.

See you on the road,

Scott Helms
http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/britishcarweek.html
This letter is free for anyone to use for promoting this event.