Re: flywheels

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: flywheels
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:18:24 -0400
Jerry said:

>I almost certain that we 4-cylinder folk can just turn the flywheel 90
>degrees (relative to the crankshaft flange) and bolt it up to "renew"
>the part of the ring gear that is engaged by the starter. The flywheel
>stops at the same location every time the engine is turned off for
>some simple technical reason that is way beyond my
>understanding. I think Barney told us so.
>
>Regards,
>Jerry

Actually, I think that the flywheel would stop in any of either two or four
positions, so in order to reorient it, you would want to rotate it either 45
degrees (if you want to try to reuse it once) or 30 degrees (if you are
really daring and want to try to reuse it twice).  Seems like you wouldn't
want to bother for a 6 cylinder engine.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget