Re: A Bracing

To: mlupynec@globalserve.net
Subject: Re: A Bracing
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:44:29 -0500

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:50:13 -0400 "Michael Lupynec"
<mlupynec@globalserve.net> writes:

> 2) Going concours (maybe). Can anyone recommend the better
> reference books.
> Is there a Concours Guide put out by one of the clubs?

I haven't seen it myself, but there is a book called "The Mga : 'First of
a New Line'" by John Price Williams.  I understand that it includes a
concours specification sheet developed by an Australian group.

"Original MGA" by Anders Ditlev Clauseger is a "must have" for
originality questions.

There isn't a well-developed concours system in this country for the MGA.
 Most MG meets (including the national ones) are popular vote and
sometimes non-original cars win because they are the best-looking.  You
are not likely to compete on a true concours basis unless you go to an
"all-marque" meet such as Meadowbrook.

>Which club should one join or is this a can of worms?

No can of worms, since there is only one national MGA organization--  the
North American MGA Register.  Unlike the "B" owners, we get along;-).

> 3) Looking at the very tiny email pics, it looks like the body is
> separate. The owner got in over his head, dropped the engine etc.
> So far my whole experience base has been with monocoque cars.
> Should I be asking the owner questions about whether he braced the
> body before removal?

Absolutely.  If he didn't, you might have some serious difficulty
relocating the body on the chassis, particularly if the sills are gone.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD