Re: 911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!

To: "Larry Macy" <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: 911 Virus Warning - FOR REAL!!!
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 14:28:12 -0400
Guess I shoulda stated it in the beginning - I check this stuff out
carefully before sending any kind of a post. I get my users sending them
to me ALL the time. I jump on them before they send out another one ;-).
If you had ever seen me yell you wouldn't want to see it a second time ;-)

Larry

I made a bit of an error - This thing also propagates through shared
files on a Win9x system, over any network, including the internet. As I
recall Win98 now can share a drive hosted on an ISP. I suspect this may
be where the exploit originated. Although some say it was in Texas. (I
knew we all shoulda went to Spridgetstock 2000 just to keep Elizabeth
happy. Now look what happened.)

At this exact moment in time 4/18/00 12:08 PM,
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu made the profound statement:

>Just a note to the lists about a virus that has come up in the last week
>or so. I was asked about it by list members (one got it but didn't get
>burned), confirmed it,  and thought I would drop a line to the group.
>Unfortunately this goes out the same day Allen (WAY too much time on his
>hands) Hefner posts about the well known Work Virus.
>
>911 (firkin) is a for real virus that comes attached to an email. the
>attachment can be called mine.exe. (It really is a worm) it does a couple
>of things. One it can wipe your drive but the fun one is - for those with
>modem lines - it will spend all day calling 911 repeatedly. The FBI
>called it a serious "Denial of Service" attack against the 911 system.
>And the cops might get mad at you for dialing 911 for no reason.
>
>More info can be found at
>http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/firkin.htm
>
>This baby will get Win 3.1, Win95 and Win98. Less likely to get NT as it
>wants to go in the C:\WINDOWS directory which NT does not normally have.
>
>Nor will it get a MAC!! (LMAO)
>
>Nor Unix either.
>
>I know - WAY Too much information. Keep those Virus DAT files updated.
>
>Larry
>
>Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
>macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
>System Administrator/Manager
>Neuropsychiatry Section
>Department of Psychiatry
>University of Pennsylvania
>3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
>Philadelphia, PA 19104
>
> Ask a question and you're a fool for three minutes; do not ask a
>question and you're a fool for the rest of your life.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.