Re: 79 B HP Rating

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 79 B HP Rating
From: David Tulchinsky <tulch@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:27:50 -0400
>In a message dated 4/18/00 11:37:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
><< An aside:  I have an Allen wrench to tighten the set screws.  What is the
> etymology of the term "Allen" wrench?  Any ideas, Allen?  >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>None whatsoever!  Ask Mr. Whitworth. (Or maybe Fred Allen.)
>
>Allen Hefner
>SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Quoting from the Allen Industrial Hand Tools catalog:

"Allen(tm) Heritage
To the industrial tool market, it means quality.
In 1910, William G. Allen patented a cold-drawing
process  for making hex socket screws that were
stronger than any other at the time.  These quality
fasteners demanded quality tools, so it wasn't
long before the Allen hex wrench was created.
As the business grew, so did Allen's reputation
for uncompromising quality.  Today, the makers
of the number one hex key in the world have put
nearly a century of experience into an industrial
hand tool line with the quality, durability and value
worthy of the name Allen."

Well, I guess there you have it. Seems like they made
a better tool and as a result name for themselves as well
as the tool.

Mind you, I have not financial interest, I just
have their catalog because I like some of their tools.

-Dave