Re: Leaky oil sump and front tappet cover

To: spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo
Subject: Re: Leaky oil sump and front tappet cover
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:54:24 -0500

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:22:58 -0400 Enrique Claure
<spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo> writes:
> Hi list, another frustrating day today when I detected an oil leak at
> the
> front of the oil sump and out of the front tappet cover.  I am
> thinking of
> how to solve this problem.
>
> 1. drain the oil and remove the sump.
> 2. Fit new front cork with silicone sealer and put a fresh cork
> gasket for
> the sump.
> 3. Use a silicon sealer for the sump
> 4. Refit tappet cover gasket with silicon sealer.
>
> Am I doing the right thing? Thanks for any pointers. Enrique

Friend of mine taught me this little trick--

Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of a 3M product called
"Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive."  Follow the instructions on the tube
and use this to "glue" the front cork into the block.  Don't use it on
the oil pan side, though.

It isn't recommended to use silicone sealer on the oil pan gasket itself.
 If you use anything (besides oil), get some Hylomar at your local Jaguar
dealer parts department.  If you use silicone it will tend to squirt out
and form droplets (for lack of a better term) which can then break loose
and get into your oil.  Hylomar doesn't "set up" like silicone so it
won't have the same problem.  Use it sparingly, though.

For the front tappet cover, use the Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive to
glue the gasket to the cover.  You'll either have cork or neoprene new
gaskets and you'll find that the neoprene, particularly, are hard to fit
and will twist when installing if they aren't glued to the cover first.
Again, follow the instructions on the tube.  I clamped the two covers
together, gaskets against each other, in a vice overnight to make sure
they would stay.  Then you can use a little Hylomar on the block side of
the gasket to install them.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII