RE: more idiot questions - Loose plunger

To: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>, "'MG list (E-mail)'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more idiot questions - Loose plunger
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:58:42 -0600
At 04:20 PM 4/25/00 -0700, Scott McKorkle wrote:
>Now going off on a tangent and speaking of the carb plungers...  The front
>plunger on my HS-4 keeps unscrewing.  I'll drive a few days and open the
>bonnet to find it unscrewed but still in the carb.  I'm assuming that
>vibration from the engine is causing this.  Any ideas to keep it in place?
>I hate the thought of using loc-tite.  Would teflon tape do the trick or
>cause more problems?  Finally, do you think this is indicative of any more
>serious problems?
>
>Thanks!
>Scott McKorkle
>1978 MGB (converted to dual SU's)

My 67BGT had this unusual problem. After I bought it last year, I noticed
that the damper rod (plunger) would come loose on the rear HS4 carb. Even
after I tightened it as tight as I could get it, it still came unscrewed
within 5-10 miles of city driving.

I almost wrote in to the list to see if anyone had heard of this problem.
But I thought one possibility was the damper rod itself was no longer
straight, adding to the vibrations that were then unscrewing it. To test
this theory, I just swapped the dampers between my two BGTs. Well, a test
drive later, and the damper rod came unscrewed on my 71BGT.

The solution was to replace the damper rods - they were not overly
expensive, I think about $7-8 each. Its worth a try.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT